Friday, January 2, 2009

Where to begin?

Where do I begin? Well..... Lets start with the things I learned last year. To begin with, in September I attended the MAES (Magicians Alliance of Eastern States) convention in Carlisle PA. I was fortunate enough to meet two individuals there. The first, a magician whom seemed to know a good bit about marketing, Eric Anderson. I bought is lecture notes on marketing and how to increase my business. This is what I learned and put into action, I think you should consider this.
Newsletters. A big topic I found interesting from Eric is that of Newsletters. His theory was putting yourself infront of your client more often, with a newsletter. At the first of every month take former clients and send them a newsletter informing them of your well being and upcoming events they maybe able to attend. This might seem like much but I have to be honest, in the month of October I doubled the amount of shows strictly with a newsletter. All of a sudden I received phone calls from former clients whom I thought would remember me saying" I just received your newsletter on my desk. We are getting ready to have our Halloween Party/ Christmas Party and I completely forgot about you." This just goes to show that people do not remember you from the year before, unless you give them a reason to remember you. In this newsletter I never directly post " Book me now for your next party" or anything of the nature. Imagine writing to a friend and letting them know whats going on in your life. You are not begging for work, your just updating everyone on how you are. I also began informing clients of things going on in the Magic world. They love to be in the know. Tell them when a new magic special is coming on ( Not the Masked Magician!) or of a local live performance they might be interested in. By becoming friends with these people they will be more than likely to remember you and want you around. I always address my envelopse a few a day prior to the first of the month. That way you arent waiting until the last minute. And I always try to send it out on the 31 of the prior month. That reminds me, its the second of January and I still have to write out my envelopse, and send out my newsletter. Oooops.

As I mentioned above I met two individuals at this convention who left large impacts on me. I do not think its approrpiate to write about the other now. I will leave that for another post. I have way to much to talk about. Please feel free to let me know what you think and I will try to post everyday. This keeps me motivated. What have I done today to take that step forward towards my goal?
- called 10 party planners
- Collected information on Fairs and Festivals coming up
-Emailed 10 former and potential clients with my information

See you again tomorrow!

-Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment